Phonics Screening 2020
Dear Parents and carers,
Phonics Screening Update
As you will be aware, our Year 1 children would have undertaken the Phonics Screening Check in June.
The government recently announced that the test will now be carried out in Year 2.
There has been a suggestion that schools may be asked to administer the test during the second half of the Autumn term.
We would like to reassure you that your child will not be put under undue pressure on their return to school. We will do all that we can to help each individual child to catch-up on missed learning whilst striving to create a nurturing and caring environment within school.
Our children’s well-being is of utmost importance to us.
If you feel that you would like to continue to practise phonics with your child over the Summer, we can recommend the following resources and websites:
- A Guide for (Year 1) Parents
- Phonics Sound Mat – You can use this to check if your child recognises each sound!
- Phonics Screening Check Word Cards - You could print off or work through on an iPad/tablet.
- Phonics Home Learning Revision Booklet – Useful if you have access to a printer or use as a basis for creating home-made activities.
- - to point them in the direction of games like 'Buried Treasure', 'Picnic on Pluto', 'Make a Match', 'Dragon's Den' (to practise segmenting and blending real and nonsense words).
Thank you for all of your support during this strange and challenging year!
The Year One Team